Monday, August 13, 2007

the french cleat and other occurances

this is a french cleat
the wall mount for the french cleat...i mean freedom cleat.

taking a moment to admire my handy work, yep definitely levelso here are the two finished pieces for the paper cuts show, french cleat and all.
I have been finishing up the framing for the paper cuts show, and decided to use the most stable and reliable method of mounting work, the french cleat. I learned about the french cleat after many years of hanging art shows for myself and for others. the french cleat is a stable mounting system with a ledge on the wall and a ledge on the art. I know for a little while there was a movement in the artworld to rename it the freedom cleat but that seemed to peter out. It would be a good time to mention that all this week I am working down at the college of charleston's Halsey institute for mark sloan installing a show called the projectionist. After 3 years spent working as the preparator for the natalie and james thompson gallery in san jose it is refreshing to be in a new space. The halsey institute is kind of quirky, if the thompson galleries strangest attribute was the baby puke colored floor then the halsey's is it's bizarre architecture. I am really enjoying being in a gallery that has two floors, it is very different then the windowless white cube i worked in before. This gig is only temporary though and I don't anticipate being there much past next week. as with any gallery work, it gives me time to think about the gallery space itself and the way in which work looks in a white walled environment. oh well tomorrow we start to hang the works on the walls.
this just reminds me of a really great tony cragg sculpture stack.

No comments: