Wednesday, August 08, 2007

so humid you can see the marsh evaporate



so i am starting over on the plastic piece since it collapsed under the pressure of it's own weight
the cat finally succumbs to the heat wave.

so i found out i will be an artist in residence at the ox-bow school of art in september and that i will have a piece in a show here in charleston that opens the same weekend as the show in california. This has me a little worried since the heat index has been so extreme that i have been staying out of the studio for health reasons and working on wedding stuff with brooke instead. I still need to frame the two rust prints for the california show, and on monday I start working for the halsey gallery here in town so that my time will become much tighter. I did get some really cool news from redux here in town when i confirmed with julie henson that I would be teaching an introductory print workshop. I am pretty excited since this will get me in the print studio and thinking about ways to develop some new imagery. The only setback is that the thermoplastic piece i was toying around with for the sumter show, collapsed and I will have to figure out something else. Another thing about that show is that the theme is kind of recycled or reclaimed materials, so i am pretty confident i can rely on my resourcefulness when i get there. in the meantime here are some alternate ideas i am toying with.


so my fallback plan for sumter is to weave stir sticks from the first floor through to the second flooranother idea is to create the mirror image of the ceiling on the floor, by building the oval piece and placing a large piece of mirrored acrylic down to create a reflecting pool.

No comments: