Tuesday, July 31, 2007

a full day in the studio (finally)

so this is the progress on the plastic piece for sumter, I should post a detail, but it is made of several 2x3 inch squares that have to be heated and placed one at a time onto the piece. but the effect created is pretty cool and when it reaches it's predicted absurd scale i think it will be really nice.


so yesterday i managed to get a full day in the studio, which allowed me to finish up a few more rust prints and make some progress on the green plastic piece for sumter, then i started messing with some stuff i had laying around. One of the professors at the college of charleston had two boxes of spikes that he didn't want. The full story is that a local sail maker had saved all the end pieces off of the giant pop-rivets they use and gave them to the college and no one in the college sculpture department knew what to do with them.

so these are some of the spikes after being soaked in acid, I have about 10 times this amount left to clean

This kind of thing is always happening to me, somebody has a bunch of something and they don't know what to do with it, so they give it to an artist, and eventually that artist gives it to me. So I have been soaking these spikes in acid to get the plating off of them and make them clean steal. I will probably use them to make a large object. I began playing with different layouts for the spikes and we will see what happens.

some ideas for layouts, a bit british if you ask me but what are you going to do.
rather than rush myself through any of these projects I am keeping all my respective deadlines in mind. In the past i had the tendency to burn myself out on working but with this studio I am going to try and strike a balance between making work in a timely manner for deadlines and developing new ideas with no time restrictions. I suppose these are the long term goals of any working artist.

No comments: