Friday, July 11, 2008

the quest for stir sticks


i have become an expert on wooden stir sticks. it started as an innocent exploration and blossomed into a full blown knowledge base of the tensile stregnth and construction uses of stir sticks. I know that in order to complete my installations i need the 7" rounded end wooden coffee stirrers, the birch ones, made in china. From various stages of trial and error i know the flat end and the 5.5 inch round end wont work, i know popsicle sticks are too rigid and too short. Knowing exactly what i need and knowing i need 10 or more cases(100,000 sticks and up) for my next installation in september, means i have to call manufacturers and distributors and research the cheapest and easiest way to get multiple cases from point A to me here at point B or to point C where i intend to make my installations. Most of the times the distributors i have been calling for quotes have just asked out of curiousity what i am up to with that many stir sticks at once. when i explain, they seem to understand, I guess as much as any one understands why someone would need 100,000 stir sticks.

No comments: