Thursday, June 05, 2008

my computer died 5 days ago and i am still without but not too much longer i hope

my computer crashed. i have been busy making stuff for other people and i miss writing here. i feel weird blogging without pictures. one of the blogging rules i gave myself, was never post without an image. i don't know why but something about an image on my blog feels more true to my experience of the world since i am primarily a visual person. so here are some pictures(borrowed from my flickr page) of some things i have observed in my landscape

IMG_3113.JPG


i am left to question the proliferation of these Orange line elements around town. I wonder why this cable has to be so long and obvious on every building that it is installed on

IMG_3112.JPG


sometimes when i see this stuff i see it as the most beautiful sculptural intervention possible

IMG_3109.JPG



i guess i should explain what happened. my computer crashed, and not just an ordinary run of the mill easily recoverable software crash. the motors that turn the internal hard drive actually quite being able to turn, so no data can be recovered unless i have the hard drive rebuilt(which costs as much as a new computer, and besides i am praying to the data gods that i backed up the essentials). i thought i would be more upset by the loss of my computer, but day 5 of having no computer of my own, after 4.5 years of constant use has not been so bad. i am not saying i am giving up having a computer just that i am learning to make do(between mobile web on my cell phone and checking email once a day on an old dell desktop at my parents house i am getting by). at the moment though i can't update my website, i can't work with my digital images and i can't finish the proposals i was working on, but i will be okay. Mostly i am okay because i got two really great pieces of news last week, so the total loss of my digital iLife has been less devastating. as soon as i get my old computer restored or my new one arrives i will resume blogging and discussing what i have been doing, but for some reason i feel less comfortable writing on a computer that is not mine, or maybe writing on one that is fixed in place after the total freedom to write anywhere afforded by the laptop.

No comments: