Sunday, March 30, 2008

living in charleston, looking at charleston

IMG_2727.JPG
sometimes for me living in charleston is like being in a difficult relationship that should have ended years ago. Charleston is a beautiful place to live, and a unique place to be raised and come of age. I can look at charleston in all sorts of ways, point a camera in any direction and you have a great shot. the word picturesque does not even begin to cover the true look of the city.
Even our trash piles our beautiful.
IMG_2949.JPG
But sometimes it feels like too much of a good thing. I find myself spending an inordinate amount of time in my studio. Somedays I leave my apartment go to the studio and stay until dark and then go home. I never really think of it as hiding, the isolation in a windowless room just seems a necessary function of my commitment to art making. But if the art i make is to be a reflection of the life i live and the interests and discoveries i make as a result of that life, how quickly will the work reflect my relationship to charleston? It is true that since we moved back from California last june I have been in and out of town so much that I barely noticed we were living in charleston again. After i got back from Vermont in december it was wedding time and since then i have been working on applications and chasing more stable income sources here. It is the process of interviewing, writing and applying for jobs and residencies that has me so introspective. I am fortunate in one way since i have always questioned, to a fault, what is happening around me in my environment. The problem is when i look too carefully at Charleston, She starts to look stale and rotten. I love her too much to rail against her the way i did when I was younger, but the problems are still in my face. I wonder if i will just use charleston as a perpetual pit stop in our life travels. As brooke looks towards more education in the next 2-5 years we will just continue to shuttle between here and someplace else. In the end I don't know if it matters. but in the interim wandering around looking at things in charleston gets me thinking.

on any given morning in charleston you can find the empty bins of trash strewn out on the doorsteps of any of the hundreds of bars and restaurants we have here
IMG_2723.JPG

here is a typical sight. Native Palm trees are often times systematically planted along the streets to give a "natural" feel to the city. I really liked this one the way it was, laying down on the job.
IMG_2722.JPG

this is something you will see in any historic town with buildings that have had upgrades. All the plumbing and pipes are on the outside of the house, sort of like a shit pipe exoskeleton
IMG_2721.JPG

No comments: