Friday, December 14, 2007

cd's and sub-zero weather do not mix

I got in the truck today for my weekly trip to the laudromat. This is also my weekly ritual of digging the car out of the snow. i got in the truck and started to listen to a cd, then suddenly it went silent. i removed the cd to see if there were any scratches on it and low and behold the entire surface of the cd was fogged up. I guess that'll teach me.


it's hard to tell but the river is slowly freezing over and becoming a stream eventually it will be solid all the way across.


so the other night i really wanted to make some prints but the print studio is a cold and icy walk from my sculpture studio, so I improvised. I inked up some coffee cup sleeves with sumi ink and hand printed them onto sketch book pages then i chine colle'd/collaged them onto a larger sheet of paper and just followed the curve of the sleeve until it made this gesture. Kind of a zen mocha effect.




so this piece is becoming more water bottle like each day I get to work on it, but I have not been able to work on it the last couple of days because i ran out of welding gas, but barring no blizzard delays the gas delivery should be here today.


So I made this pair of objects, kind of like a snow dialog. They are made of laminated scrap wood from around the studio here, which i cut and formed then shaped with the sander. the one on the left is stained with sumi ink and the one on the right is pearlescent white gouache with a top coat of blue gouache.

No comments: