Tuesday, March 27, 2007

San Francisco for a day

we ducked into a photo booth in the haight.
I need one of these switches, for when my life starts to seem too normal.

I was really excited to see this sculptural installation at the sf moma by an unknown artist.

just a reminde absolutely no photography in the gallery, especially no pictures of Robert Irwin's optical illusion wall mounted sculpture

Today, after I put my application in the mail, we went to san francisco. It was a little bit rainy so we started by going by crown point press, and then we went to the sf moma to see the picasso and the americans show, and the brice marden restrospective. The picasso show only served to remind me how little I actually enjoy picasso's work. I would go so far as to say I don't even like picasso. However hiding in the show were a few gems by Lichtenstien, and a few outstanding jasper johns paintings. The brice marden retrospective is pretty cool, but probably has about 100 paintings too many. The majority of the work is from his drugged out days in the sixties and seventies and has a really stilted line quality that was very appealing. After Moma we went to the haight. I have been to haight ashbury quite a few times in the last couple of years but something really struck me differently today. I noticed how every store we visited had a hip hop soundtrack, and then it occured to me Haight ashbury has gone from hippie to hip-hop. After doing some shopping, we visited cousin nina brilliant who had just gotten back from her trip to buenas aires. The pictures she showed us were really interesting. Tommorow won't be quite as exciting since I am just spending the day cleaning up in the studio. Later this week brooke is going to bend me some new acrylic shelves when she is at work. the shelf i bent(pictured below) using a heat gun in my studio looked so cool, but I just used some scrap I had laying around the studio, Brooke is going to use some nice pieces of acrylic from her work and polish them up real purty can't wait.


No comments: