Saturday, February 27, 2010

responding to snow


I am not a snow virgin, far from it, but I have been snow abstinent for the last couple of years. This abstinence has made me more appreciative of the times when i do get to engage with snow. These snow affairs usually happen when i am in some far off snowy locale like Vermont, or Alaska, where i lived briefly in the 90's. But the last place I expected to have a genuine quality snow experience was in my native south carolina, but that is exactly where i got a recent fix of snow. Like many southerners it is hard not to view the snow with wide eyed wonder, and this time was no different. At first when the flurries fell I figured it would be the usual south carolina snow fall, a couple of non-sticking inches, but then it just kept coming. I knew in advance that I wanted to make some work in response to the snow fall, and i knew I wanted to make some sort of drawing or work on paper. So I left a piece of paper in the yard and let snow accumulate on it then observed and digested the results, which were the source for this piece.

here I am applying some quality spray celing texture to the paper the same that the clouds apply snow to the earth.
below is the snow melting away from the paper
at the height of the snow fall the snow drawing under 8inches of carolina powder.
another real treat was watching the snow accumulate on the iced beverage basket which is hanging out in the yard until it goes to it's next destination. although I was really tempted to use fiberglass and spray texture to create the layered snow look that nature created.




the view from the studio when i realized this was going to be a real stick to the ground kind of snow.

The beginning of the snow and the snow drawing

No comments: