Sunday, November 02, 2008

a cup alone


When I see a stray coffee cup placed like this I think about the ritual that went along with this cup. I often refer to to-go coffee cups as portable consumer fetish objects, because of the interface the way they are built to be caressed and cradled between two hands. Unlike other pieces of litter, when I find a to-go coffee cup it is usually placed in an upright position, abandoned mid-ritual consumption. When I happen upon a cup like this in my day I feel less alone. I think the design of a cup like this is far superior to the standard for-here cup that requires the awkward insertion of fingers into a looped handle. although there is that strange hybrid to-go coffee cup, the paper ones with the paper loop handle, what was that about.

No comments: