Wednesday, June 13, 2007

high tide in the lowcountry

It is hard to describe to outsiders but there are two factors that make life in the lowcountry a pleasure. One is the humidity. The air here is thick, I mean you can feel it when the breeze blows it has substance. When I was in california it was always the thickness of the smog, here our air is thick, but it is just thick with air. the second factor is high tide.
<span class=
I have to admit I was always laughing at northern californians fear of water. whenever it would rain they would freak out concerned about flooding. Flooding is just a way of life here. Every month on the full moon tide the marsh and the oceans rise pushing floating docks to their limits and flooding neighborhood streets.
<span class=
<span class=
It is truly beautiful. So to celebrate the full moon I of course worked on some more residency applications and started some new work. It really does make a difference working in the salt air. Yesterday I built a platform for making rust prints then began a large three panel rust print.



I also began making some new work with these paper bags i have.
<span class=
<span class=
<span class=
being near the ocean has effected my creativity because i find myself composing more music than I did when I was in san jose. On Monday I wrote a new song based on the rhythm of the swaying palm trees. I am still adjusting to the sounds here, where san jose provided the constant din of cars and mexican street peddlers, south carolina is giving me the white noise of the ocean and the clattering of the ceiling fan.

No comments: